We have had a wee hiatus from our Kitchen Canny exploits whilst we stuffed ourselves with food in our respective homes…I just love Easter, it’s like Christmas without all the stress!
Anyway, now that we’re back in our flat and our bellies are full, we fully intend on getting stuck into Step 5 of the challenge. To keep you entertained in the meantime, here’s a recipe for Carrot, Coriander and Honey Soup…now don’t say I never give you anything!
I made it last night in a bid to use up a bag of carrots that were looking a bit sweaty and which were about a day away from the bin. This type of soup is one of my favourites, although I have never actually made it myself. Here’s what I came up with:
What you’ll need…
- 350g carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 ltr vegetable stock
- 1 tbs honey
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- salt and pepper
What to do…
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and carrots and cook gently for 5 mins.
- Add coriander and honey. Stir so that they form a paste on the vegetable mixture.
- Add vegetable stock slowly. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are soft. Remove from heat.
- Liquidise using a hand blender or food processor, return to heat and season to taste.
- Thick soda bread (watch this space for a recipe!), topped with real butter.
If you like, you can top with fresh coriander but I am violently opposed to the taste of it for some reason…that’s why I used the ground stuff instead. I really enjoyed this thick and warming soup and will definitely make it again!
Emma S xxx